At the start of a season training will focus on strength and fitness, gradually incorporating technique and skills training as the year progresses, while maintaining a focus on fitness.
Strength and fitness training incorporates elements of running, Ergs, rowing and core body strength.
IMPORTANT TRAINING INFORMATION
- Training is never cancelled due to inclement weather - there is always indoor training.
- All training sessions are mandatory.
- Failure to attend training may result in not being selected to participate in regattas. Boys coxing may be allocated to different days to cox their respective crews.
- Boys train in their year groups and are supervised both on and off the water.
- During on-water training, the Club aims to have a Coach with one or more assistant coaches where possible.
WHAT TO WEAR & BRING TO TRAINING
- MCCRC rowing zootie
- MCCRC sun shiirt (optional)
- MCCRC cap - lightweight with crest & oars
- Running / sports shoes are required at every training session
- Slides (shoes)
- Drink bottle (soft plastic)
- Sunglasses - optional but highly recommended
- Sunscreen - highly recommended
- NOTE: the Marist PE uniform is not approved clothing for training due to safety reasons
CLICK HERE for Pricing & Opening hours of Marist College Uniform Shop.
2023/24 TRAINING SCHEDULE
Tuesday 4.00pm - 5.30pm - LTRC
Thursday 4.00pm - 5.30pm - LTRC
Saturday 9.00am - 12pm - LTRC
Monday 4.00pm - 5.30pm - LTRC
Wednesday 4.00pm - 5.30pm - LTRC
Saturday 9.00am - 12pm - LBG
Tuesday 4.14pm - 6.30pm - LBG
Wednesday 4.15pm - 6.30pm - LBG
Saturday 5.45am - 9.00am - LBG
Monday 5.45am - 7.15am - LBG (performance)
Tuesday 5.45am - 7.15am - LBG (performance)
Tuesday 4.15pm - 6.30pm - LBG
Thursday 4.15pm - 6.30pm - LBG
Friday 5.45am - 7.15am - LBG (performance)
Saturday 5.45am - 9.00am - LBG
LTRC: Lake Tuggeranong Rowing Club
LBG: Lae Burley Griffin, Yarraliumla
GETTING TO TRAINING AFTER SCHOOL
Location: The Marist Shed is co-located at the CGGS Sheds on Alexandria Drive, Yarralumla
Action School Bus Service from Marist to Yarralumla #2037 3.26pm for rowing training after school. Disembark at the first stop in Schlich Street in Yarralumla & then walk across a grassed area/or footpath to the Marist Rowing Club shed.
Location: the Lake Tuggeranong Rowing Club is located underneath the Lake Tuggeranong Library.
There are a few options:
- Action School Bus Service #2041 3:15pm
- Action Bus Service #R4 3:49pm
- Action Bus Service #73 3:26pm
MCCRC has a very professional coaching staff comprised of parents, friends, current and former students. These dedicated followers of the sport of rowing contribute an enormous amount of time and energy to improve the skills of our club rowers.
VOLUNTARY HOLIDAY TRAINING
Many schools hold training camps during the holiday period. MCCRC prefers to hold voluntary holiday training. Voluntary holiday training is more beneficial for rowers and more manageable for parents and volunteers.
The regatta season in term 1 is very short and often commences before the start of the school term . It is up to the discretion of coaches, in consultation with year groups, as to wether vooluntary holiday training continues during holidays.
More detail regarding Action buses can be found in the Action maps and service details for Marist.