Lake Burley Griffin 07 Nov 2020
Dear Rowers and Parents,
1. The following information highlights what is occurring for the regatta this Saturday. The full program of events ie all races and crews can be found on the Rowing ACT website. There are sometimes changes to this program and therefore it is important that you only use the Marist entries spreadsheet to determine when you are racing. Coxswains have been nominated - so please check the spreadsheet in case you are coxing. Please check the boat allocation details (ie where to pick and drop off your boats). This is shown on the Marist entries spreadsheet ie the right column. Please check the key at the bottom as the colour indicates where to pick the boat up from / drop it off.
2. The regatta is predominantly run on a grade system (in essence time based / competency based) with a School Girl / Boy year group race for Quad Sculls events up to Year 10. The year event is based on the year the boys are in 2021.
3. The boys rowing in races requiring pick up of boats from Marist Rowing Shed (refer to Marist entries spreadsheet) are to be at the Marist Rowing Shed 80 minutes before their race start unless advised by their coach of different arrangements. Please don't be late as boats need to be rigged up, crews assembled and boats rowed around to the race starting line on the Lake Burley Griffin course.
4. The current Year 6/7 boys are not competing at this regatta, however, will be observing / assisting in preparation for their debut in coming weeks. The Year 6/7 boys are to be at Weston Park ie the end of Pescott Lane (near the Play Sculpture) ("The Fort Thing" on the goo=gle map) at 8:45 AM and will be ready for pickup at 10:15 AM.
The current Year 8 boys in crews Marist 1 and Marist 2 (racing at 9:46 and 9:51AM are to be at the Marist sheds by 7:30AM for a training row with the other schools.
All the current Year 9 boys are to be at the Marist sheds at 7:30AM to rig and row singles over to Weston Park.
5. The regattas are normally mandatory events for all theboys for the duration of the regatta. However, due to COVID restrictions this has required changes this season. Due to COVID restrictions we are limited as to our presence at Weston Park. We will have an allocated space for the Marist tent but we will not congregate as a whole club as in past regattas. Boys are not required to be present for the duration of the regatta. The policy of ‘get in, compete and get out’ will be followed with boats leaving from and returning to the Marist shed where possible. Boats scheduled to be dropped to Weston Park will be sanitised post race ready for the next crews.
Boys are to minimise their time at Weston Park. ‘get in, compete and get out’. Parents will need to make sure boys are dropped off and picked up at the designated time and place as well as shuttled between the Shed and Weston Park as required.
6. Medals are awarded for first, second and third place and are not to be collected by the boys or parents during the regatta. A MCCRC representative will collect all the medals awarded to Marist at the end of the regatta and these will be presented to the boys most likely at training.
7. All the boys are to wear correct Marist sporting uniform (not house PE uniform) to and from the regatta and whilst at the regatta. Appropriate uniforms are the Marist zootie, Marist rowing clothing, white rowing sunshirt, the school tracksuit or the school light blue polo shirt. All boys are to wear the Marist zootie, white rowing sunshirt and only the Marist rowing hat in races – no other attire is allowed. All boys in the same crew are to have identical uniforms.
8. Please bring a hat, water, sunscreen, food and warm clothing as it can be a demanding day.
9. The reverse traffic flow on the lake will be in operation for this regatta. If in doubt please ask a coach to explain it to you.
10. All the boys are to come to the regatta with their race time, race number and lane number written on their arm in permanent marker - this is to avoid confusion throughout the day and removes the need to constantly ask "when is my race ?".
11. The boat allocation will be available at the Marist Rowing Shed and Weston Park. It is important that everyone takes the time to understand the boat allocation as it is essential that it is followed to ensure Marist crews do not miss races. If in any doubt please ask.
12. Live results are available for ACT regattas.
13. In addition the regatta will be Live Streamed.
14. There will be no bbq at this regatta.
15. Parents are normally encouraged to come to the regatta and support the boys. However, due to COVID restrictions parents are asked to socially distance themselves from rowers and watch the regatta not in the immediate vicinity of the rowers at Weston Park.
16. Parents - please pass this email to your sons or discuss it with them as they need to know where they need to be.
Good luck to everyone.
If you have any questions then please contact your coaches or parent year group coordinators.
0435 125 189